Update (11/10/23 10:03 a.m. EST) Matthew Perry’s death certificate was released by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health following his October 28 passing. According to E! News, who obtained the certificate, Matthew’s cause of death is still “deferred.” The certificate reveals he died on October 28 at 4:17 p.m. at his home in Pacific Palisades, California. Matthew was buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Los Angeles, which is near Warner Bros. Studios where he filmed Friends, the certificate states.
Update (11/1/23 10:05 a.m. EST): While Matthew Perry’s toxicology report is still being completed, he reportedly did not have fentanyl or meth in his system, a law enforcement source told TMZ. Law enforcement officials who reported to the scene reportedly ran a quick test to see if he had either drug in his system, and they both came back negative. The results of the full toxicology report may not be ready for up to six months, and it will determine if there were other illegal drugs in his system.
Update (10/31/23 3:47 p.m. EST): Following Matthew’s passing, police revealed that his cause of death was still “pending investigation” in a statement to The New York Times. They said there were still no signs of foul play. The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner also revealed that the autopsy was complete, but they are still awaiting the results of a toxicology report, according to People.
Original Story: New details are coming in about Matthew Perry‘s shocking death at the age of 54 on October 28. Prescription drugs, but no illicit drugs, were found at his Los Angeles, CA area home, where he died, according to TMZ. Authorities apparently told the outlet they found anti-depressants, anti-anxiety drugs and a Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) drug in the house. COPD drugs are prescribed for people who suffer from breathing diseases, such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis, and the Friends actor was known for being a smoker, which is one of the causes of the diseases.
The new information about the RX drugs reportedly found in Matthew’s home comes after he reportedly played two hours of pickleball near his home on Saturday. Sources told the outlet that he was in “good spirits” during the game and shortly after it was done, his assistant picked up a new iPhone for him as well as prescription glasses. The assistant reportedly returned to his home two hours later and found him unresponsive in his jacuzzi before calling 911. They then also apparently called Matthew’s mother, one of his siblings, and an unrelated woman.
Matthew’s parents were seen outside his home just a few hours after his death made headlines. They looked somber as they sat in a car before and after going into his residence. At one point, Matthew’s stepfather, Keith Morrison, was seen walking outside among police and photographers.
Matthew’s death has left his family, friends, and fans heartbroken. Although his Friends co-stars have yet to publicly make statements about his passing, he was known to be close to some of them over the years. The talented star was also very open about his struggles with drug addiction, which started in his 20s, and wrote a memoir about his journey called Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing in 2022.